A construction company was fined €40,000 this morning (Monday 12th March) by Judge Patricia Ryan in the Central Criminal Court, Dublin for a breach of health and safety legislation. The case arose out of an incident that occurred in North Dublin on 29th August 2007.
Two employees of Enterprise Managed Services Ltd. sustained substantial burn injuries when leaking gas ignited while they were working on a live gas main. Enterprise Managed Services Ltd. pleaded guilty to one charge under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005.
Speaking after the sentencing, Brian Higgisson, Assistant Chief Executive with the Health and Safety Authority said, “This incident led to very serious burn injuries for the workers concerned. With the proper systems and procedures in place, it was an entirely foreseeable and avoidable situation. All employers and senior managers have a duty of care to their employees and it is vital that this is taken seriously.”
He added, “In this particular incident dangerous and highly specialised work was undertaken without the necessary supervision. At no time should employees be allowed to undertake such work activities without the appropriate training and support.”
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.